A key mandate of the CACBT-ACTCC is the development of a formal process for the certification of cognitive-behavioural therapists in Canada. The purpose of certification is to indicate to consumers that the clinician is a skilled cognitive-behavioural therapist. Certification is defined by the Board of Directors as follows.
Certified Member or Fellow: A regular member or Fellow of the Association, who provides satisfactory evidence to the Certification Committee and they meet the following criteria:
- They are licensed, registered, or certified to provide independent professional practice related to cognitive and behavioural therapies in the jurisdiction in which they reside or are employed;
- They hold current legal liability insurance in the jurisdiction in which they reside or are employed OR they are exempt from this requirement under local statutory authority;
- They meet the training and supervision eligibility criteria established by the Certification Committee; and
- They are an active member of CACBT-ACTCC (i.e., their membership dues are up-to-date).*
* Note that to maintain CACBT certification, individuals must pay their membership fees each year (due on March 1). Those who do not renew their membership and pay their annual membership fees (as well as any associated late fees) by June 1 will lose their CACBT certification. Should they once again become members and want to be certified, they will need to undergo the certification process again.
The Certification Committee oversees the certification process and is comprised of the following members:
- Jacqueline Cohen, PhD (Chair), Nova Scotia Health Authority and Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University
- Karen Rowa, PhD, Anxiety Treatment and Research Clinic, St. Joseph’s Healthcare, Hamilton, and Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University
- Andrea Liss, MSW, Locke Psychotherapy Group, Hamilton, and Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University
- Thomas Hadjistavropoulos, Ph.D., ABPP, FCAHS Department of Psychology, University of Regina
- Alex Chapman, PhD, Associate Professor, Simon Fraser University
- Mark Lau, PhD, Vancouver CBT Centre & Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia
- Martin Provencher, PhD, RPsych
- Jesse Renaud, PhD, RPsych
The Certification Reviewers (2019-2020) are responsible for reviewing applications for certification:
- Andrea Peterman, PhD, CPsych
- Barbara Pavlova, PhD, RPsych
- Katherine McKenney, PhD, RPsych, MA
- Kirstin Buhr, PhD
- Jacqueline Cohen, PhD
- Laura O'Neill, PhD, MSW, BSc, RSW
- Melanie Badali, PhD, RPsych, BA, MA
- Melanie McConnell, PhD
- Penny Sneddon, PhD
- Sarah Newth, PhD
- Sheryl Green, PhD, CPsych, BA, MA
- Trish Furer, PhD, CPsych
CACBT-ACTCC would like to thank all Certification Committee Members and Reviewers for your volunteer work. Your service to the organization and commitment to CBT is greatly appreciated. Certification is essential to the dissemination of high quality CBT, and the organization could not make certification happen without you.
See Certification Process for more information.