All applicants for certification are required to submit materials for review as described below. Applications and supporting documentation are submitted in two stages. They can be uploaded and sent to us through the Member Log-in Area.
An applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be licensed/registered/certified for independent practice by a provincial/territorial regulatory body (or equivalent);
- Hold professional liability insurance that covers all their professional activities;
- Be a member of CACBT-ACTCC in good standing (i.e., their membership dues must be up-to-date);
- Provide an up-to-date CV; and
- Provide additional information as specified under either Option A or Option B (described below).
Certification Requirements and Process
Certification applications are submitted in 2 stages:
- Applicants will be asked to submit an Application Form and other required documentation (e.g. CV).
- Application fee: $150.00 + applicable tax (non-refundable)
- Applications, supporting documentation and payment can be uploaded and submitted to us through your Member Log-In
Applicants are required to select either Option A or Option B as indicated on the Application Form. Please review the Application Form for more detailed descriptions of the criteria required for each option.
Applicants are required to fulfill ALL criteria under if this is the option chosen:
- Formal training in CBT. At least 40 hours of training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
- Minimum CBT experience. Following the completion of their formal education and registration or certification, the applicant must have recent, substantial experience in CBT as an independent professional.
- Letters of support (at least two) supervisors or individuals familiar with the applicant’s practice.
The Applicant must be credentialed in CBT from another credible organization.
- If Stage 1 applications are favourably reviewed, applicants will be invited to submit Stage 2 application materials.
- Application fee: $250.00 + applicable tax (non-refundable)
- The Stage 2 materials can be uploaded and sent to us through your Member Log-In
Stage 2 application materials required:
- A recording of a CBT therapy session with a patient who consents for their case to be used for this purpose.
- A case history, formulation, and treatment plan for the same patient.
(Note that applicants have up to 3 years (in total) to submit application materials for both Stages 1 and 2)
Certification Task Force
In January 2020, the CACBT Board of Directors approved the formation of a Task Force to review CACBT’s certification requirements. This was in response to recent changes in the landscape surrounding certification (e.g., the advent of the Ontario Structured Psychotherapy Program, similar undertakings in other provinces), research emphasizing the role of supervision in attaining competence in CBT, and an identified need to standardize CACBT’s current certification process. The Task Force, which was comprised of current and previous members of the Board and other certified CACBT members with expert knowledge in CBT, met 11 times between April 2020 and April 2021. Multiple recommendations were made to revise CACBT’s current certification goals and processes. These recommendations include the following: developing a process for certifying courses and workshops; making and publishing (on the website) a list of certified CACBT members who provide consultation; revising the training requirements to limit passive forms of learning; requiring consultation to become certified; asking referees to provide specific information about an applicant’s skills; and the development of an appeal process. The implementation of these recommendations will standardize and equalize the certification process, reduce the burden on the Certification Chair and reviewers of the first stage of the application process, and bring CACBT’s certification requirements and processes to the forefront of the field.