All applicants for certification are required to submit materials for review as described below. Applications and supporting documentation are submitted in two stages. They can be uploaded and sent to us through the Member Log-in Area.
An applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be licensed/registered/certified for independent practice by a provincial/territorial regulatory body (or equivalent);
- Hold professional liability insurance that covers all their professional activities;
- Be a member of CACBT-ACTCC in good standing (i.e., their membership dues must be up-to-date);
- Provide an up-to-date CV; and
- Provide additional information as specified under either Option A or Option B (described below).
Certification Requirements and Process
Certification applications are submitted in 2 stages:
- Applicants will be asked to submit an Application Form and other required documentation (e.g. CV).
- Application fee: $150.00 + applicable tax (non-refundable)
- Applications, supporting documentation and payment can be uploaded and submitted to us through your Member Log-In
Applicants are required to select either Option A or Option B as indicated on the Application Form. Please review the Application Form for more detailed descriptions of the criteria required for each option.
Applicants are required to fulfill ALL criteria under if this is the option chosen:
- Formal training in CBT. At least 40 hours of training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
- Minimum CBT experience. Following the completion of their formal education and registration or certification, the applicant must have recent, substantial experience in CBT as an independent professional.
- Letters of support (at least two) supervisors or individuals familiar with the applicant’s practice.
The Applicant must be credentialed in CBT from another credible organization.
- If Stage 1 applications are favourably reviewed, applicants will be invited to submit Stage 2 application materials.
- Application fee: $250.00 + applicable tax (non-refundable)
- The Stage 2 materials can be uploaded and sent to us through your Member Log-In
Stage 2 application materials required:
- A recording of a CBT therapy session with a patient who consents for their case to be used for this purpose.
- A case history, formulation, and treatment plan for the same patient.
(Note that applicants have up to 3 years (in total) to submit application materials for both Stages 1 and 2)